Saturday, August 2, 2014

Install Driver for D-Link DWA-171

I recently purchased D-Link DWA-171 USB WiFi dongle, more info here.
It is a mini size USB WiFi dongle that support dual band and comes with IEEE 802.11ac. I tried it on my Windows maching, it is working great, I can easily get the driver provided on its product page. But it does not work out of the box in my Ubuntu.

I previously found this page here, where it provide the driver for ubuntu, I downloaded, and try to make and install, but the make itself doesn't successfully complete. It shows 2 errors on the summary of the make.

After more searches, I found this discussion here, where people also discussing on how to install the driver for DWA-171, until I found this comment.


Text version for the code:

sudo apt-get install git
git clone https://github.com/abperiasamy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux.git
cd rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe 8812au

I followed it and now it successfully installed. I guess the difference between the method above and the method of downloading the driver from its wikidevi page is the 2nd method actually using the latest version of its driver, and the its wikidevi page might still carrying its older version of driver.

Update 161005

The original method above seems not works for 5GHz network. To support 5GHz network, please use the updated command:

sudo apt-get install git
git clone https://github.com/gnab/rtl8812au
cd rtl8812au
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe 8812au

22 comments:

  1. Only thing i have is it doesnt see any 5ghz networks...it sees my 2.4 but not any 5ghz network. how can we enable this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replaced 2nd and 3rd lines with

      git clone https://github.com/gnab/rtl8812au
      cd rtl8812au

      and I can connect to both 5GHz and 2.4 GHz bands.

      Delete
  2. Hi. Thanks, I followed your instructions and everything gone be alright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, What should be displayed when we run all the command?
      I did, but nothing happened!

      Delete
    2. Try this driver instead
      https://askubuntu.com/questions/1164356/ubuntu-18-04-dlink-dwa171-revc-shows-as-a-memory-stick

      Delete
  3. mine just says abort after copying the command even when it gives me the option to continue with a [Y/n] please help i have no idea what im doing and ubuntu is frustrating

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried your second method but still not able to access to 5ghz network.

    ReplyDelete
  5. IT WORKS! IT'S ALIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. None of methods above works in my ubuntu 16.04. The dongle works out of the box, but only on the 2.4ghz band. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. /home/spike/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux/rtl8812au/rtl8812au/include/osdep_service_linux.h:257:8: error: ‘_timer {aka struct timer_list}’ has no member named ‘data’
    ptimer->data = (unsigned long)cntx;
    ^~
    /home/spike/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux/rtl8812au/rtl8812au/include/osdep_service_linux.h:258:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘init_timer’; did you mean ‘_init_timer’? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
    init_timer(ptimer);
    ^~~~~~~~~~
    _init_timer
    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
    scripts/Makefile.build:332: recipe for target '/home/spike/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux/rtl8812au/rtl8812au/core/rtw_cmd.o' failed

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi !
    My connection stopped working after updating to Ubuntu 18.04. I followed the instructions but nothings happened and it's still not working.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything seems to install fine until I get to sudo modprobe 8812au. I get this error: ERROR: could not insert '8812au': Exec format error.

    I found to run this command to see why:
    dmesg | grep -i -e rtl -e 8812

    I get this result but I can't find anything on how to fix it:
    8812au: version magic '4.4.0-121-generic SMP mod_unload modversions ' should be '4.4.0-121-generic SMP mod_unload modversions retpoline '

    Any help would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The commands in the "update" worked for me both on 18.04 and 19.10, thank you

    sudo apt-get install git
    git clone https://github.com/gnab/rtl8812au
    cd rtl8812au
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe 8812au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, After you ran all these commands, what happened? I ran all of them without error, now what should I do?

      Delete
  13. Thank you.
    D-Link DWA-171 stopped to work after 19.04 to 19.10 upgrade
    Followed instructions and it works again

    ReplyDelete